Saturday, December 5, 2009

Christmas time staple: Sausage Balls

Every year growing up, my mom would make Sausage Balls on Christmas morning. We'd open our Santa gifts and stockings, then eat breakfast, and then sit and open the non-Santa presents under the tree, taking turns. Every family has their own way of doing it, and I think that way is the most fun.

The last time I went to the grocery store, I got supplies to make sausage balls for Christmas morning, but since we're going over to Dave's parents' house that day, I thought I'd make them a little early. So today's the day. It's rainy outside, not snowy like everyone thought :(, and I think it's a perfect day to stay in, watch some movies, and snack on sausage balls.

Yum!


Here's the recipe, if you're interested (cutting it in half gives you plenty for 2-3 people):

2 pkgs. (16 oz. each) Regular Flavor Jimmy Dean Pork Sausage
1-1/2 cups all-purpose baking mix
16 oz. (4 cups) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
2 teaspoons black pepper

Optional additions for flavor:
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
2 teaspoons minced garlic

Oh, also on the agenda for today is finishing those pesky Christmas cards. Dave's licking the envelopes, and I need to stamp on the return address and figure out how much postage will get 3 of them to England. Tough day, right?

1 comment: