Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Strawberry salsa

Last night, on the way home from Williamsburg, I took advantage of the fact that I was driving through the northside and stopped at my favorite roadside stand on 301.  It's past all the congestion, but not quite in the country.  I wish I could describe it better, but just drive north on 301 and you'll see it and all its awesomeness.

I saw all the locally grown vegetables, strawberries, and honey, among a ton of other things, and instantly thought about this strawberry salsa I made last summer.  I was scared when I first made it, because I wasn't sure how fruit salsa would taste with tortilla chips.  We had made mango salsa and served it with fish the prior Thanksgiving, but my mind couldn't wrap itself around the concept of salsa made out of fruit, combined with chips.  But we tried it anyways.  It was a hot, summer weekend and Dave's parents love it when we try out new recipes on them. 

So, I picked up all the ingredients that I needed to make the salsa, except cilantro, and packed them all in my Virginia Grown tote...so cute.  

I made the salsa tonight, and will be taking it to work tomorrow.  My work peeps should enjoy it, paired with the world's best tortilla chips - from Target!  Seriously, they are awesome.

If you'd like to try it, here's how I made it (I don't have a recipe, but just played around with it and it came out well):

1 small carton of strawberries, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
couple stalks of green onions, chopped
2 teaspoons of red pepper flakes
2 tbsp cilantro, minced
1 tomato, chopped and de-seeded
salt and pepper

combine all the dry ingredients

whisk together 3 tbsp each honey and lemon juice and pour over the dry ingredients

Here's how it turned out tonight:

No comments:

Post a Comment