Sunday, July 18, 2010

Lazy Sunday and lasagna

This week has been a full and busy one, so today I decided to spend some quality time with my couch and DVR.  After breakfast at Brick House and some errands, we came home and I have been vegging ever since!  Now, I'm caught up on Top Chef, DC Cupcakes, and Lie to Me, and we watched "The Young Victoria" - very good, btw.  Now I'm making lasagna for dinner!

I love Nate's mom's lasagna...it's creamy, saucy, perfectly cooked every time!  But the version I'm making today has ricotta, where hers only has mozzarella.  We'll see if the experiment turns out well - if not, we know Linda's version is yummy and hopefully dummy-proof!

The recipe I used today came up at work last week.  My coworker Valerie's son's girlfriend's room-mate (?) passed a long an easy recipe to her that doesn't require cooking the noodles first.  And it has ricotta!  Sold! 

I'm pretty sure I got the order of the layers wrong, but hopefully it'll still taste the same.

Here's all you need:
  • large container of Ricotta
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 box of frozen spinach (heated using directions on box)
  • 1 box of lasagna noodles
  • 1 bag of shredded cheese
  • 1 jar of spaghetti sauce
  • your choice of spices (although I was so excited to get the layers even and flat I completely forgot about spices - oops!)

Mix the ricotta, eggs, and spinach together and you get this creamy, yummy-looking mixture:

Then spoon the ricotta mixture into a 9x13 casserole dish as the bottom layer:

Add a layer of spaghetti sauce:

Noodles - I'm not sure why the noodles aren't made the same size as the pan - do they expand as they cook and become 13 inches long?  I don't know, I've never made lasagna before:

Cheese:

Repeat layers until ingredients are used up.  I only got 2 layers.  I put it in the oven at 350 and will let it cook for about an hour.  I'm worried that the top layer of noodles doesn't have anything moist on top of it.  Just cheese.  We'll see how that works out.  If it works like a cobbler, juice from the ricotta and sauce under it will make them moist enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment