Monday, September 6, 2010

Fried green tomatoes

Every since I was like 13 and saw "Fried Green Tomatoes" I wanted to try this crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside treat.  Christie got me thinking about them a few weeks ago, and when I was at Berry's Produce on Friday I picked up 2 huge green tomatoes.  I decided this was finally the weekend I'd try to make them.

It's also the weekend I'd use my Pampered Chef coating trays.  I bought these months ago and hadn't even taken them out of the box until this tomato adventure.  They are awesome and perfect for any layered coating recipe.  Here's what you'll need:

I sliced the tomatoes into about 1/2 inch thick slices and coated them using flour, egg/milk, and breadcrumb/cornmeal mixtures listed below:
  • First bowl/tray - 1 cup flour
  • Second bowl/tray - 1/2 cup milk and 2 eggs, whisked together
  • Third bowl/tray - combine 1/2 cup bread crumbs, 1/2 cup cornmeal, 2 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. black pepper
  • Skillet on medium heat - enough vegetable oil to create 1/2 inch deep bath for the tomatoes

I put the coated tomatoes into the vegetable oil to cook.  I had my splash screen ready to go just in case, but turns out I didn't need it. 

I let them cook until they were golden brown and then flipped them....once they were finished on both sides I let them cool on a wire rack.  They turned out like this:

They were tasty - my only complaint is that I may have cooked them a little too long because some of the thinner slices were a little mushy.  But it was good for my first try and Dave loved them.  I don't think there are any left, including the scraps I left on my plate.

3 comments:

  1. They look super yummy. I'm from Alabama and I've never made them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so gonna have to make these!! I think my dad would really enjoy them. Thanks for the step by step process! :) *writes ingredients down on grocery list*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made these for my dad but I haven't heard if he liked them or not. LOL

    ReplyDelete