Saturday, October 30, 2010

Get off the couch and go make this - like, now!

The other night, I wrote about having too many apples and not enough recipe ideas.  I found a pumpkin apple dessert pizza recipe that reminded me of Pampered Chef's taffy apple pizza, and today I tried it with great results!

It's a really easy recipe, starting with refrigerated sugar cookie dough.  I'm sure you could make your own batch and chill it, but I chose the easy route.  Roll out the dough on a pizza stone or any round pan and bake for 22-25 minutes at 325 degrees.  Learn from my mistake and allow at least 2 inches all along the edge of the pan for expansion of the dough.  While the dough/crust is cooling on a rack or trivet, use a fork to poke some holes in it.
 I guess I'll be cleaning my oven later this afternoon - there's burnt dough that fell off the edges as the dough cooked.

Also while the crust is cooling, mix up your pumpkin spread.  It's just 1 cup Libby's canned pumpkin, 3 oz. cream cheese, 2 tbsp. sugar, and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon. 

...then peel, core, and slice your apples - I used 2 medium apples, but the recipe only calls for 1 cup.  Toss in 1 tbsp. sugar and a tsp. of cinnamon and mix it all up to coat the apple slices.

Once the crust is fully cooled, spread the pumpkin/cream cheese mixture on top, leaving about an inch along the edge.  

 mmmmmmm....

Layer your apple slices on top in any pattern you choose...

...and sprinkle with walnuts.  I forgot to take a picture of this step, but you can see them in the after pictures below.  Once all your toppings are on the pizza, put it back in the oven for 8-10 more minutes.  When it's done, drizzle it with as much or as little caramel as you please.  

Slice it like a pizza and serve warm (preferably with a glass of milk).  

No comments:

Post a Comment