Saturday, August 6, 2011

Magherita Pizza Roll-ups with Zucchini Fries

Margherita pizza is a favorite of ours for a lighter dinner. Not necessarily lighter in calories, depending on where/how it's prepared, but it doesn't feel so heavy and make you as full as meat-heavy pizzas.  Sometimes fresh cheese, basil, and tomatoes hit the spot.

I had no idea where the name came from until just now, while looking for a good pic:

"In 1889, during a visit in Naples, Queen Margherita of Savoy was served a pizza resembling the colors of the Italian flag, red (tomato), white (mozzarella) and green (basil). This kind of pizza has been named after the Queen as Pizza Margherita." -Best source ever, Wikipedia

pic from here

One recent weekend we were abnormally poor but wanted a good dinner - no mac and cheese and hot dogs!  We had all the ingredients to make margherita pizza roll-ups other than the fresh basil, so Dave went to the store to get some.  Other than the basil you just need crescent rolls (or an actual pizza crust) brushed with olive oil), mozzarella cheese (shredded or sliced from a ball), and sliced tomatoes (or diced).
Time to roll 'em up!
Sorry for the crappy pics - gotta get the Nikon fixed up :(

Just follow the directions on the crescent roll or pizza crust package for baking:

...and you get this:


YUM!

We also had some zucchini so we attempted parmesan zucchini fries I saw on Pinterest - what's weird is that I checked my Pinterest, and it doesn't look like I pinned them...then I checked Bonnie and Ashley's boards and they didn't either...  I lined up my trusty Pampered Chef coating trays with flour, egg, and bread crumbs, and started coating my zucchini.  Dave was in charge of cooking the zucchini, a few at a time, after I coated them:

After a few minutes in the pan, you get this lovely pile of breaded zucchini:

Some are obviously more breaded than others.  I'd like to say I did that on purpose to be healthy, but really it was because I ran out of eggs and the bread crumbs had nothing to stick to towards the end of the batch.  I sprinkled some parmesan cheese on top of each before they cooled for some salty flavor...

These are so tasty!  Good, good dinner...

1 comment:

  1. Zucchini fries are some of my favorite ways to eat zucchini! Yum!

    ReplyDelete