Sunday, August 18, 2013

Biscuits 'n Gravy

Are you allowed o post pics of raw meat on the internets?

Well I'm 'bout to.  Consider yourself warned!

When I went to NYC last month to spend the weekend with 2 of my BFF's from high school, Maureen made us biscuits and gravy for breakfast!  I've never experienced biscuits and gravy.

I know, I'm sheltered and need to branch out - but my vision of biscuits and gravy was that the gravy would make the biscuits soggy and it would end up tasting like sausage soup...plus it made me think of dirty fast food joints.  Which is weird because I'm not one to shun fast food.  I can't explain it.

Anyway, I trust Maureen, so I tried it.

And it was FAB!

So fab that when I got home I wanted to run right out for ingredients so I could make it myself.  So a few days later, I did just that.  All you need is breakfast sausage, milk, flour, and biscuits.

I got sausage links because that's what Maureen used, but I assume you can use ground sausage too.  I cut the meat out of the casing and then cut it up a little before cooking it.

I didn't trust myself to eyeball anything - I'm not good at that - so I used this recipe to tell me how much flour and milk to add once the sausage was browned and removed from the pan.  As I started this part, I put the biscuits in the oven (not homemade - from a can).

I ended up adding a total of 2-3 tbsps. of flour and 2 cups of milk to the sausage fat, adding a little of each at a time and whisking away until it thickened.  Then I added the sausage back in and stirred while it heated through.

Once it was a nice thick consistency and heated through I poured a ladle's worth onto a biscuit:

So good!  Dave is on the fence - still holding on to the fast food vision I suppose - but he ate it!  Can't wait to make this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment