Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Exploring RVA: Portico

When Dave's brother and sister-in-law were visiting a few years back we were giving her a tour of RVA, which included the huge houses along River Road. We passed a little house on the left and both Cindy and I gasped at its cuteness. We didn't catch any signs, but as soon as I got home I Google Mapped it to find out that it was a new restaurant - Portico.

We already had dinner plans for that night, so I filed it away to remember later. Based on the menu and $$ prices we decided to save it for a date night or special occasion. It's not that expensive, but more than we like to spend on a normal Tuesday night.

The restaurant is in an old house with a front dining room/bar area and a back dining room that looks like it used to be a sun porch. The kitchen is in a separate building, so you don't hear any yelling or other kitchen/cooking-related noise (I've heard some Gordon Ramsey-level screaming at other places *coughTheTaverncough*). They also grow their own herbs and have a flower garden in the back - check out their photo gallery.

They have great outdoor space with plenty of tables and a fireplace! I took my team from work here for lunch last spring and it was just so quiet and peaceful out there, even with groups at other tables. Since it's off the beaten path there isn't much traffic going by or just general city or suburb noise. I don't really know how to describe it. Just feels like you're having lunch in a friend's backyard. Is that weird?

Dave and I have been several times now, and have never had anything but a positive experience! Service is great, food is great (their salmon is zomg), I hear the wine is great but I'm no wine expert. Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment