Spot the leaf I missed?
I was in luck. In the age of Pinterest and fad diets that eliminate random ingredients for vague reasons, you can find substitutes for pretty much anything. All the recipes were very similar, but I went with this one because it was short and sweet.
It's as easy as this:
- Cut up your strawberries (aim for 4 cups)
- Blend them as much or little as you like - I like sorta chunky jam and over-blended mine
- In a pot, combine them with 3 cups sugar (yes, I know that's a lot of sugar) and 1/2 cup of lime juice (recipe called for lemon but I didn't have any)
- I added some chiffonaded basil for flavor and then fished them out at the end
- Warm to a boil and boil for 10ish minutes
Yes, we still have Christmas m&m's
It will thicken as it cools - this didn't get as firm as store bought stuff but it firmed up enough to spread on bread, which is really all we need from jam, right?